Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why an Atheist Blog?


So yeah… I’m starting an atheist blog.

Why should I do such a thing? Aside from the fact that I’m an atheist. I mean, really, I’m a lot of other things as well. I’m a man, a father, an engineer, an American, a gaming enthusiast, a science fiction and fantasy fan… why not blog about those things? Why choose atheism as my theme?

Mostly, I think, because I haven’t ever been accused of being a blight on society based on any of those other things (or when I have, the accusation has usually been rooted in religion anyway). I don’t see Facebook posts from purported friends claiming that fathers are responsible for all that’s wrong with our country, or that gaming enthusiasts are merely looking for an excuse to behave immorally. Nobody has ever attempted to write laws that require science fiction fans must pronounce daily affirmations that mystery novels are the true literary form of America, or to prevent engineers from running for office or testifying in court.

Also, in part, I want a space where I can talk about these things without necessarily having to throw them in people’s faces. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that don’t necessarily share my views on religion. And I don’t want to start arguments with them, or force them to have to see my latest rant whenever they’re scrolling down their FB news feed. Nor do I want to respond to their religious posts directly, since I just don’t see a way that a direct response to many of them could not come off as an attack.
And lastly, I just feel like a lot of people don't understand where a lot of atheists are coming from. I can't claim to speak for all of us - one of the funny things about atheists is they tend not to agree on much. But I can speak for myself, and maybe a few others will feel like I do, and perhaps that can help others to understand a little about an atheist mindset.

Plus, it’s kind of a companion to my Bible reading blog http://reallyawakeguy.blogspot.com/ , though I expect this one to be a little more irregular. Btw... don't read that one if you're easily offended.

So this will be my own little space where I talk about what’s on my mind as relates to atheist issues. Mostly it will be a way for me to get things off my chest and work things out through writing about them. I’ll let my friends know when I’ve posted something new, but obviously it will be up to them whether they choose to check it out. Anyone who stumbles across this is welcome to read and comment as well.

At present, I have no real intention to moderate comments. Obviously, by putting this into the public sphere I expect to receive some criticism. I’d ask that people refrain from personal attacks against either myself or any other commenters, and hopefully I won't have to rethink that policy later on.
If you're here... thanks for reading, and hope you stick around! maybe we can all learn something together.

No comments:

Post a Comment